Friday, October 24, 2008

McCain on Ireland


Senator John McCain's views on Irish taxation and the US approach to Ireland's "agile" innovation policy were just some of the topics discussed at the international Atlantic Corridor conference on science education this week.

I'm just back from the event and it really struck me that it was an excellent forum for people from different backgrounds and organisations with an interest in science education to share their views. (I should of course declare my link to the event in that I produced the video message from An Taoiseach, Brian Cowen TD that was shown at the event).

Chaired by Leo Enright and with the keynote address from Robert Winston, the variety of presentations helped provoke some passionate discussions and there was a real sense of the need to do be active in this area given the current global financial crisis.

The presentations will be available on-line soon and in the meantime the PDF programme of speakers can be downloaded.

Were you at the event? What do you think needs to happen with science education? What role does the media have to play? Let me know your thoughts by e-mailing me at diarmaid.mac@agtel.ie or commenting on this post.



No comments:

Post a Comment